Whether you’re moving across town or the country, many factors come into play regarding the cost of hiring professional moving companies. Are you contemplating a residence shift and wondering about the cost of hiring movers, especially local movers in Queens?
Look no further! Our comprehensive guide on cost estimation for hiring movers will walk you through everything you need to know. We’ve covered everything from service fees to additional expenditures to help you understand your budget when hiring local movers Queens.
Get ready to make your move more efficient and budget-friendly!
What Is the Cost of Hiring Movers to Help With a Local Move in Your Area?
You should know that local movers will charge you by the hour when moving locally.
What does this mean for you, and what is your budget? The price quote you receive should be based on an estimated hourly rate and the cost of the move.
The average hourly rate for hiring movers to move locally in your area is $60. However, this will vary depending on where you are located, what month and season you choose, and which local moving company you choose.
|Home Size||Number of Movers||Number of Hours||Estimated Cost|
|Studio / 1-bedroom||2||4-5||$480 – $600|
|2-bedroom||3||5-6||$900 – $1,080|
|3-bedroom||4||7-8||$1,680 – $2,160|
- Two men and a moving truck. You can expect to pay between $90 and $120 an hour for two men with a truck. The exact date you move significantly impacts the rates of professional local movers. Moving out at the start and end of a month is more expensive, especially in the summer.
- Studio apartment. What is the cost of hiring movers in your area? Moving out of a studio should take two movers 4-5 hours, so you’ll pay around $480-$600 on average.
- 1-bedroom. Local movers will charge approximately $480-$600 for two professional movers to move out of a one-bedroom apartment over 4-5 hours.
- 2-bedroom. You should expect to spend more money when moving out of a two-bedroom house. Assume three movers will work five to six hours to load and pack your household goods. You should expect to pay between $900 and $1,080 if you don’t want extra services.
- 3-bedroom. Moving out of a three-bedroom house and moving locally will cost you between $1,680 and $2,160. This is for four professional movers working for 8 hours.
Ask about any additional charges that local movers may charge to ensure the cost estimate is accurate. Travel fees are one example of an additional charge. This is when it takes the movers to travel to and from your location. This fee is usually charged as an additional hour of labor.
When scheduling your move, most local movers require a deposit to reserve the date. Contact them to learn more about your local moving company’s deposit policy.
It’s crucial to know how much local movers will charge in advance. For a free estimate of moving costs from local professionals, click here.
What Is the Cost of Hiring Movers to Move Across the Country?
The cost of hiring movers within the city and out-of-state will differ. It’s almost impossible to estimate the cost of hiring movers to move interstate because many factors affect the price.
You will need to ask for moving quotes from different cross-country movers. They will also have to come to your house to provide accurate estimates.
Knowing the average cost of long-distance moving is useful to compare moving costs. Ask reputable moving companies to conduct in-house surveys and then provide precise quotes.
How much will it cost you to hire a cross-country mover?
|Home Size||Move Distance||Estimated Cost|
|Studio / 1-bedroom||1,000 miles||$1,500 – $3,200|
|2-bedroom||1,000 miles||$3,500 – $5,200|
|3-bedroom||1,000 miles||$6,300 – $7,800|
- Studio apartment. The interstate moving costs are calculated here for a distance of 1,000 miles and a weight of approximately 1,800 pounds of household items.
- 1-bedroom. You can expect to pay between $1,500 and $3,200 for moving out of a one-bedroom apartment without any extra services. The interstate moving costs are calculated based on a distance of 1,000 miles and a weight of approximately 2,200-3200 lbs.
- 2-bedroom. Expect to pay between $3,500 and $5,200 for moving out of a two-bedroom house without extra services. The interstate moving costs are calculated for this case based on a distance of 1,000 miles and weighing approximately 5,000-6,000 pounds of household items.
- 3-bedroom. If you are moving from a three-bedroom house, be prepared to pay between $6,300 and $7,800 without extra moving services. The interstate moving costs are calculated based on a distance of 1,000 miles and a weight of approximately 9,000 pounds of household items.
Get accurate quotes from the best cross-country movers using the moving cost calculator at the top of this page.
If you receive a quote much less than the average moving cost, it could be rogue movers that have intentionally lowered their costs to ensure your move.
What Are the Factors That Affect the Cost of Moving Across the Country?
You’re about to complete an interstate move if you’re moving from one state to another, even if it’s a neighboring state. You should know that moving across the country will cost more than a local move. It’s all down to the factors that will affect the final bill.
Why should you care about this? The good news is once you understand how interstate moving costs are calculated by combining the long-distance prices, you can use cost-saving strategies to your advantage.
- Home size + weight of the shipment. The larger your house, the more things it can hold and the heavier the shipment. The cost of interstate moves (state-to-state moves) is determined by weight, as opposed to local movers’ prices which are calculated hourly.
- Special items. If you have an upright piano and decide to move it to your new home, the cost of hiring movers goes up. It’s the same for specialty items like a pool table, hot tub, large metal safe, antiques, etc. Show your moving company all the items you intend to move into the new apartment or house.
- Extra services. To ensure your price is calculated accurately, inform your cross-country moving company if you require additional services. This includes packing, unpacking, and temporary storage. It also includes disassembly, reassembly, and custom crating of highly valuable items. Your long-distance mover can only give you a price estimate if they have all the information. Only then can you be sure there won’t be any unpleasant surprises when you pay the moving company.
- Move distance. The distance between two homes will impact the cost of moving across the country. You should not be concerned about this factor, as you have no control over it.
What Is the Cost of Hiring Movers? Extra Charges
This question, as you can see by the example above of moving company costs, can have a very different answer depending on the parameters of your move, such as the location, the type (local or interstate), and the professional moving companies themselves.
These are some of the additional and sometimes unexpected fees that can be included in the cost of hiring movers.
- Charges for handling bulky items include pianos, large organs, or canoes that are either very large and take up a lot of space or extremely heavy, weighing more than other items of the same size. Some companies charge a flat rate for moving organs and pianos. The company must be informed about the items as they can move them if the movers are prepared.
- Long carry fee is usually charged when parking near your building door is impossible or if the distance between your apartment and the moving truck from your apartment is too far. Moving too far will make the process longer, and you may be charged more. To reserve the best parking space, you can reserve it or get a permit.
- If you cancel your move there may be a cancellation fee. This can also happen if you change your moving date but the mover cannot accommodate you. This fee is typically equal to or lower than the deposit you paid to your mover for booking the date.
- Storage fee will usually be charged a storage fee when you ask for delayed delivery. Moving companies must store your items for a certain period in such situations. This fee can be significant depending on the moving company.
You should also be aware of some unusual charges. Asking your moving company to explain them and negotiating better terms beforehand is the best way to avoid surprises.
- Express delivery or exact delivery dates are usually charged when you need a quick delivery when moving from one state to another or when you ask for an exact delivery date when moving across the country.
- Disposal fee (environmental charge) when you request unpacking, the moving company must remove all the packing supplies and used boxes.
- Extra stop charges when picking up or dropping off furniture at multiple locations. The movers will have to travel further and spend more time.
It is important to compare estimates from different moving companies, as each uses its parameters to estimate costs. Negotiating a discount before the move is also an option that’s worth considering.
Three Cost-Saving Ways to Reduce the Price of Moving
Moving house can be expensive, as you can see by the above-average moving costs.
You can reduce moving costs by using proven techniques. Not only is it possible, but you should do all you can to lower the moving cost. After all, why spend more money when you could pay less?
You can save money by using these 3 top methods as soon as you know how much the movers are charging you:
1. Reduce Your Possessions
Only move the items you will use shortly and those you cherish (sentimental). You’ll end up paying less because you will be moving fewer things.
There are many ways to get rid of undesirable goods. Give them to friends or charitable organizations. Sell them online, at a move-out sale, or throw them out for recycling.
Remember, the less you haul around, the more you can save.
2. Pack Your Things
You will pay extra money to have your moving company provide the packing service. This can range from $300-$450 per apartment to $600-$750 per three-bedroom house. These packing costs do not include the cost of packing materials.
Packing up as much of your belongings yourself is a great way to reduce moving costs. If you’ve got enough time before moving day, you can safely box and wrap most of your belongings.
Professional packers can minimize the risk of injury or damage to your items.
3. Negotiate Better Deals With Your Moving Company
Negotiating a lower moving price with the company you hire is an unusual way to save money.
It’s important to remember that moving company rates are not fixed, and you have nothing to lose but gain by using your negotiation skills.
Ask your movers if they have any current promotions, discounts, or deals you can use. You can also claim that another moving company has given you a better price. This may convince them to change their estimate to win your business.
The cost of hiring movers, especially in Queens, varies widely based on factors such as the size of your current residence, the quantity and weight of your belongings, the distance of your move, and any additional services you may need. It’s critical to consider the base rate provided by the moving company and any potential extra charges that might arise.
Understanding these parameters will enable you to make an educated choice when hiring a moving company and assist you in managing your moving budget effectively. Remember, sacrificing quality for cost can be a costly mistake. Ensure you choose a reputable company, such as Abreu Movers Queens, that ensures your belongings’ safety and efficient transportation.
Ready to make a move with confidence? Contact Abreu Movers Queens today, request a quote, and let us provide you with a smooth, stress-free moving experience! Our expert movers in Queens are eagerly waiting to turn your moving process into a seamless journey.
Michael Dixon is an esteemed relocation strategist and a compassionate advisor, highly regarded for his exceptional expertise in the moving industry. With a wealth of knowledge and a genuine commitment to guiding individuals and families through the challenges of relocation, Michael has become a trusted and sought-after expert in the field.
Michael's interest in the intricacies of moving was sparked during his early experiences of relocating with his family. Witnessing the transformative power of a well-planned move, he developed a profound fascination for understanding the logistics and emotional aspects of relocations. This curiosity laid the foundation for his journey towards becoming a relocation strategist.