If you’re planning a move to Brooklyn, you’ll likely explore your options for hiring a moving company. But with so many companies, how do you determine which fits your needs and budget?
In this guide, we’ll break down the costs associated with moving companies in Brooklyn, providing a comprehensive overview of what you can expect to pay for moving services. Whether you’re moving across town or the country, we want to ensure you have all the information you need to make an informed decision about hiring a mover. So sit back, unwind, and get set to discover everything there is to know about moving company costs!
What Is the Cost of Hiring Movers?
You’ll learn more about the cost of hiring movers later in this article. Here is a brief price guide for hiring expert movers to assist you with packing and moving your stuff into a new home.
The average cost of hiring movers (updated 2023) is as follows:
|Long distance movers||$1,500 – $3,200||$1,500 – $3,200||$3,500 – $5,200||$6,300 – $7,800||$8,000|
Keep in mind that these movers’ estimates are only rough estimates. The actual cost of your move will depend on many factors, including the size of the move, the specialty items, the distance of the move and shipment weight, the season of the move, and any additional fees or charges. To understand more about these crucial elements, keep reading.
The COVID-19 pandemic may also impact the cost of hiring professional movers.
The only way to know accurately how much your move will cost you is to ask for a free estimate from the top movers in your locality.
What Is the Cost of Hiring Local Movers in Your Area?
Local movers are paid by the hour. Based on local averages, you can expect to pay between $90 and $100 per hour for two men with a truck. Moving labor alone (without a moving truck) costs $60 to 80 per hour when moving within the city.
Moving rates and local moving costs vary depending on where you reside – the state and metro area.
The hourly rate is charged for each mover’s time. The hourly rate is the same whether driving, wrapping, or loading.
Travel fees can also be charged depending on where the pickup is located. The moving company can negotiate this fee with the client based on the distance traveled to the new location.
Packing materials may also be included in the moving costs. Be sure to keep this in mind when asking your mover to estimate your moving costs. Use our moving cost calculator at the top of this page to estimate the total cost of your move.
The size of your house is important when calculating local moving costs. Here are the approximate costs of hiring local movers, based on an average hourly rate of $60.
- Studio apartment: $480 for 4 hours. Hiring two local movers to help you move out of a small studio apartment will cost around $480.
- 1-bedroom: $480 / 4 hours. Moving from a 1-bedroom should cost $480 if two movers can complete the move within 4 hours.
- 2-bedroom: $1,080 / 6 hours. Hiring three local movers to complete your local relocation in six hours will cost approximately $1080 for a 2-bedroom house or apartment (approximately 1000 square feet).
- 3-bedroom: $1,680 / 7 hours. You can expect to pay $1,680 if you move out of a three-bedroom house or apartment (approximately 2,000 square feet) for a four-person local moving team that finishes the move within seven hours.
- 4-bedroom: $2,160 / 9 hours. If you are moving from a four-bedroom house, expect to pay $2,160, the cost of 4 local movers who will work on your move for nine hours.
Consider local moving costs when setting your budget, as larger houses may significantly increase the moving expenses. Use our local cost calculator to understand and plan your budget accordingly. Hiring a professional assistant may incur an additional $60 cost. Local moving companies often offer packing or unpacking services, typically priced at $60 per hour, including packing materials. Show appreciation for your local movers’ hard work by tipping them, following a general rule of $5 per hour. It is recommended to distribute tips among crew members rather than giving the entire sum to a single person, usually the foreman.
What Is the Cost of Hiring Long-Distance Movers?
Long-distance moving costs depend on the weight of the shipment, distance, and additional services. On average, expect to pay around $0.70 per pound for items transported 1,000 miles. This price does not include any extra services. The cost is typically calculated based on weight or cubic feet. Cross-country movers usually charge for weight, distance, and additional services or fees. For an accurate estimate, contact the company for an in-home assessment. To better estimate your costs, obtain on-site estimates from multiple reputable cross-country movers. Choose movers who provide a binding estimate that guarantees your final costs will not exceed the estimate. Avoid companies that don’t provide visual estimates and insist on a binding estimate.
Look below at the approximate costs of moving across the country to get a better idea.
- Studio / 1-bedroom: $1,500 – $3,200. Moving out of a 1-bedroom apartment or studio (weight of goods approx. 1,800-3200 lbs. and distance to new home 1,000 miles) is between $1,500 – $3,200.
- 2-bedroom: $3,500 – $5,200. Moving out of a 2-bedroom house (weight of goods approx. 5,000-6,000 pounds, distance to a new home: 1000 miles) will cost between $3,500 and $5,200.
- 3-bedroom: $6,300 – $7,800. Moving out of a 3-bedroom house (weight of goods approximation: 9,000 lbs. distance to a new home: 1000 miles) costs around $6,300-$7,800.
- 4-bedroom: $8,000+. Moving from a 4-bedroom house to another about 1,000 miles away will cost you approximately $8,000, possibly more, depending on the other factors.
All these prices are approximate. You can get an accurate estimate of the cost of professional moving services by requesting on-site surveys.
We’ll summarize the average moving costs above according to your home or apartment size so you can get a better idea of what movers will cost.
What Is the Cost of Hiring Movers to Move a One-Bedroom Flat?
Local movers usually charge $60 per hour. Locally, it should take two movers about 4 hours to move an apartment with one bedroom. That’s around $480 in labor costs.
Moving long distances can cost between $1,500 and $3,200 if you weigh around 3,000 lbs.
In 1-bedroom apartments, the average weight of household items is approximately 2,200 pounds. The average weight of household items in a 1-bedroom apartment is 2,200 lbs.
You can save a lot of money by reducing the number and size of your belongings to a minimum.
Downsize! You will be charged extra for each additional item that you bring with you.
What Is the Cost of Hiring Movers to Move Into a Two-Bedroom Flat?
Local moving companies charge $60/hour/mover. It takes 3 movers about 6 hours to move a 2-bedroom apartment, which costs around $1,080 in labor. Moving long distances costs $3,500 to $5,200 for 5,000 lbs. Household items in 2-bedroom apartments weigh around 5,000 lbs. Start packing difficult rooms first to avoid being rushed.
How Much Will Hire Movers to Move a Three-Bedroom House Cost Me?
Short distance moving costs $60/hour. It takes 4 movers about 7 hours to move a 3-bedroom home, costing $1,680 in labor. Moving long distance costs $6,300 to $7,800 for 9,000 lbs. Verify weight estimates with the moving company at a certified scale. Remove unwanted items to save money. Get a free quote if unsure of costs.
Hire Movers to Save on Additional Costs
When you hire a moving company to handle your local or long-distance move, it takes time to estimate the cost of relocation. Knowing how this major life event will affect your budget is still very helpful.
The following are some of the most significant additional costs that you could incur if you hire a professional moving company:
What is the cost of hiring movers to pack your belongings?
Local movers will charge you about $60 an hour to pack up your house. Full-service movers will give you a quote for long-distance moving based on your home’s size, the number of items, and their nature.
You can save money by packing your stuff or asking a group of friends to assist you. If you want to save more money, consider using free moving boxes. You can also use alternative materials instead of bubble wrap and packing paper.
You’re right; packing your belongings will help you save money on moving. But ensure to assess the situation correctly because expensive or fragile items and specialty items should be left with experienced professional packers.
It is not uncommon for moving companies to charge extra fees in certain circumstances. If you move too many bulky or heavy items, the moving company may charge you more for their laborious handling.
You may also be charged a long-carry fee if there is a greater distance between the front door of your home and the moving truck or an elevator fee if you have to hire laborers to climb many flights of stairs because the elevators are not working.
You can request an additional pickup along your route to the new house. Extra stop charges are what they’re called.
Do you need to store your items before they can be delivered to your new home? You will be charged a fee to store your items if you are late with delivery. Be prepared to pay more for additional services, depending on your needs and requirements.
Insurance for Moving
When you are about to move, you must research your options for insurance.
As soon as you sign the moving contract, your household goods will be covered by basic insurance. You don’t need to pay anything for Basic Limited Liability protection. The bad news is its coverage is at 60 cents per pound for each article, which is usually unacceptable.
Talk to your mover about other options for coverage, such as purchasing moving insurance from them. You can also contact an insurance company to arrange insurance for your valuables.
The Cost of Hiring a Moving Company Is Affected by Several Factors
You already know that the cost of hiring movers depends on several factors. You can control the cost of moving by understanding the main factors that affect it.
You can reduce your moving expenses and costs.
- Size of your move. Transport costs increase as you move more items to your new home. The sheer number of items you have to move is different from moving out of an apartment with three bedrooms and a studio. You can save money by only moving the items you love and need.
- Special items. Moving specialty items can increase your moving costs, sometimes quite a bit. You must hire piano movers if you want to move your piano. When you need to move antique furniture, pool tables, hot tubs, grandfather clocks, heavy safes, etc., hire specialized movers.
- Move distance. The greater the distance between the two locations, the costlier your move will be.
- Extra services. You will be charged extra for each additional service you request. Packing is the most common additional service that people request. The good news is you can pack the majority of your items yourself and save money.
- Packing supplies. Reduce packaging costs by getting free moving boxes.
- Move date. Moving company costs can be affected by the date of your move. How? Moving during the peak moving season is generally more expensive than moving in the off-peak period (May to September), when fewer people are moving due to the winter.
- Insurance. Consider purchasing insurance for valuable possessions when moving them. Talk to your moving company regarding your insurance options.
- Additional fees. Talk to your moving company about the extra charges you may be charged. These extra fees must be included in your cost estimate.
Hiring movers like Abreu Movers Brooklyn can be a convenient and efficient way to handle the stress of moving, but it’s important to understand the costs associated with this service. Factors such as the size of your move, distance, additional services, and specialty items can all impact the overall cost. It’s recommended to request free estimates from reputable moving companies to get an accurate idea of how much your specific move will cost. Additionally, there are various ways to save money, such as downsizing your belongings, packing your own items, and utilizing free moving boxes. Lastly, don’t forget to consider insurance options and be aware of any additional fees that may be incurred. By taking these factors into account and doing your research, you can make an informed decision and have a successful and cost-effective moving experience.
How do movers determine the cost of moving?
Your personal belongings and the distance from your previous home to your new home determine the cost of moving interstate. Your moving costs will be calculated per hour (per mover) if you make a local move.
What are the types of quotes that movers provide?
Moving estimates can be either binding or non-binding. This estimate is not binding, but it can give you a good idea of the cost of your move. It’s free. It is not free, but it provides a written estimate of the cost of moving based on your weight.
Do you have the right to negotiate with moving companies?
You can negotiate with moving companies. To do this, you must first determine the average cost of a similar move. You can get an idea of moving costs by reading customer reviews.
Compare the rates of different moving companies and their other services. You can use this information to negotiate the price for your relocation.
What are the best ways to get a good deal on moving?
It would help to compare as many quotes as possible to find the best price. Ensure the moving company you choose has conducted an in-house survey before providing such quotes.
You can also read reviews from real customers to find out which interstate or local movers provide quality services. Online reputation is important to the best moving companies, and they work hard to keep their customers happy.
What is the cost of shipping a car to another country?
You will also need to include the cost of car shipping in your budget if you are moving to another state.
How much does car shipping cost?
Shipping a vehicle can range from $1,000 to $2,000. It also depends on factors like distance, vehicle size, the condition of the car, the type of transport (open or enclosed), the time of year, the location, additional services, fuel price, and the auto shipper you choose.
Eric Chandler is a versatile entrepreneur with expertise in both writing and the moving industry. With years of experience as a writer, he has a talent for crafting engaging content on various subjects for major publications and online platforms. Eric also owns a successful moving company that provides reliable and efficient services to clients across the country. His extensive knowledge of the moving process, from packing to delivery, has earned him a reputation as a trustworthy moving expert.